Contact Program Director.
The People’s Republic of China, with a population of 1.3 billion people, has the second largest economy in the world. The country recognizes 56 distinct ethnic groups, the largest of which is the Han Chinese, comprising about 91 percent of the population. China has a rich heritage with a creative people who have produced classic literature, and also invented paper, gunpowder, and the magnetic compass.
Dillon International began placing children from the People’s Republic of China with U.S. families in 1993. As more infants are adopted domestically, the children with the greatest need for families are children with special needs and older children. Dillon International participates in the China Centre for Children’s Welfare and Adoption’s special needs program and has access to the CCCWA shared agency list of children with special needs.
Children Eligible for Adoption from this Program:
- Boys and girls from 1 to 13 years old with special needs
- All children will have identified special needs ranging from minor and/or correctable to significant needs
- Some children 8-13 years old also with no medical needs are available
- 29.5–54 years of age for heterosexual married couples
- 29.5–49 years of age for single heterosexual women
Length of Marriage
- Couples married at least 2 years if first marriage and 4.5 years if it is a second marriage.
- No more than two previous marriages per spouse.
Children in Family Prior to Adoption
- No more than 5 children under age 18 living in the home for married couples
- Youngest child must be at least 6 months old for married couples and 5.5 years old for single women
- Applicants cannot have taken medication to treat mental health issues (e.g., depression, anxiety) in the past 2 years.
- Must have a body mass index (BMI) less than 40. For BMI calculator, click here.
- Required if there is a history of child abuse, trauma, substance abuse, arrest or counseling.
- Minimum annual income of $30,000 or $10,000 per family member or dependent, including the child to be adopted.
- Have net worth totaling $80,000 for couples and $100,000 for singles.
- Complete worksheet in Adoption Guide to determine net worth.
- Families may choose gender.
- Two adults (one parent) must travel and make one trip of 14-16 days.
- 6 post-placement reports due at 1, 6, and 12 months plus 2, 3 and 5 years. Family report due at 12 months.
- Application: 2-3 months
- Home study: 2-3 months
- USCIS and dossier: 2-3 months
- Referral: 1-9+ months
- Child’s arrival: 4-6 months
- Total timeframe: 11-24+ months
Want to see how this compares to other countries’ requirements? Look at our country comparison chart.
Learn even more in the Adoption Guide.