Contact the Program Director
Fees for the Colombia Program
Every night approximately 11,000 children in Colombia’s child protection system fall asleep uncertain if they will ever know the security of a loving, permanent family. Sadly, adoption for most of these children will never come true in their birth country. Some people look as these children and only see their age, their history or their medical and emotional needs. Dillon International looks and sees children who deserve a voice, a chance and a family.
Colombia’s Central Adoption Authority, the Institute for Family Welfare (ICBF), granted Dillon International accreditation in May 2012 to find adoptive families for Colombia’s most vulnerable children.
Children Eligible for Adoption by all families:
- Children 9 years and older
- Sibling groups of two children with at least one child 9 years or older
- Sibling groups of 3 or more children of any age
- Children of all ages with medical and/or developmental needs
Children Eligible for Adoption by Colombian Heritage Families:
- Healthy infants, toddlers and young children
- 25 – 54 years of age for heterosexual married couples and single heterosexual women and men
- There must be a 15-year age difference between parents and the child they are adopting.
Ages for Colombian Heritage Families
- See chart in Adoption Guide for age requirements.
Length of Marriage
- Couples married at least 2.5 years for first marriage and 3 years for a second marriage
- No more than 3 previous marriages per spouse.
- Families may choose the gender of their child.
For Colombian Heritage Families
- Must be open to either gender if requesting healthy child under 9 years of age
- Both parents must travel and make one trip of 5-7 weeks. It is preferred that both parents stay the entire time, but one parent may return home after 10-14 days.
- 4 post-placement reports due at 1, 6, 12, and 18 months after adoption.
- Application: 2-3 months
- Home study: 2-3 months
- USCIS and dossier: 3-6 months
- Referral: 3-6 months
- Child’s arrival: 3-5 months
- Total timeframe: 13-23 months
Want to see how this compares to other countries’ requirements? Look at our country comparison chart.
Learn even more in the Adoption Guide.