Certificate of Citizenship

Does your child have a Certificate of Citizenship?

certofcitizenshipUpdate: Fee for the N-600 may be increasing by almost $600 beginning in fall 2016. Read the proposal

Depending on your child’s visa classification, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a permanent resident card (green card) or a Certificate of Citizenship document for your child’s arrival in the U.S.

A child who immigrates to the U.S. as the adopted child of a U.S. citizen automatically becomes a U.S. citizen if:

  • The adoption is full and final before the child’s 18th birthday.
  • The child is admitted as a permanent resident before his/her 18th birthday.
  • The child is residing in the U.S. in the citizen parent’s legal and physical custody.
Why does your child need a Certificate of Citizenship document if he or she is already a citizen?
  • Your child may need this document to prove citizenship for traveling out of the country, obtaining a driver’s license, enrolling in college, joining the military, etc.
  •  It is much more difficult for an adult adopted child to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship than to obtain one for a minor adopted child.
  • Having a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship in your child’s legal English name is very important with increased homeland security standards.
  • The Social Security Administration requires the Certificate of Citizenship in order to list your child as a citizen in its database.
  • The Certificate of Citizenship is the only non-expiring proof of citizenship.

To apply for a Certificate of Citizenship for your child, you will need to submit the N-600, Application for Citizenship document to USCIS.

Click here for the N-600 form, instructions and filing fee information.

Instant WordPress Support & Help for a website by calling WordPress Contact Number - 1-877-994-9757

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *